Maybe you’re brushing up on your Niagara Falls USA fun facts for the next quiz show on T.V., or completing a school project – or just wanting to learn more about the region, all the fun – and the facts, can be found here!
Did you know...
Niagara Falls State Park is the oldest state park in America, established in 1885 as the Niagara Reservation. Over 8 million visitors explore Niagara Falls State Park annually.
Niagara Falls is composed of three waterfalls. From largest to smallest, it contains: the Horseshoe Falls (also known as the Canadian Falls), American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls.
Cave of the Winds, located in Niagara Falls State Park, is torn down and re-built every year.
Niagara Falls is not the tallest waterfall in the world; however, the beauty of the Falls comes from its height and the incredible volume of water running over the Falls at a given time.
Fish travel over Niagara Falls, and most survive because of their ability to flow with the water.
Four of the five Great Lakes (Superior, Michigan, Huron and Erie) drain into the Niagara River before emptying into Lake Ontario. These five Great Lakes make up almost one-fifth of the world's fresh water supply.
By the Numbers
3,160 tons of water flows over Niagara Falls every second.
Niagara Falls' vertical height is over 176 feet in some sections.
During periods of peak flow in the summer and fall, more than 700,000 gallons of water per second pour over Niagara Falls.
Niagara Falls' current erosion rate is approximately 1 foot per year, but can possibly be reduced to 1 foot per 10 years due to flow control and diversion for hydro-power generation.
The water that flows over Niagara Falls is at 25-50% capacity at any given time.
The "Big Bridge" in Lockport, New York is one of the widest bridges in America, measuring at 399 feet wide.
The birth of Niagara Falls can be traced back to the end of the last glacial period, more than 12,000 years ago.
Despite myths to the contrary, Niagara Falls does not freeze in the winter. However, on March 29, 1848, the flow of water was reduced to a mere trickle for a few hours due to an ice jam upstream in the Niagara River.
The American and Bridal Veil Falls were turned off in 1969 by the U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers to study the effects of erosion. There are plans to “turn off” the Falls again to rebuild two 115-year-old bridges.
One of the oldest surviving United States flags is permanently displayed at Old Fort Niagara. It was captured by the British during the War of 1812.
The historic Village of Lewiston was the site of the first battle of the War of 1812, and the last stop for freedom seekers heading to Canada on the Underground Railroad.
The original Flight of Five locks that were built in 1840 still exist along the Erie Canal in Lockport.
Energy from the Niagara River has been harnessed for hydro-electric power generation as far back as the mid-eighteenth century.
50-75% of the water flowing along the Niagara River is diverted from going over the Falls to hydroelectric power generating stations.
Power generation facilities along the Niagara River supply more than one-quarter of all power used in New York State and Ontario.
Under an international treaty, the flow of water over Niagara Falls is reduced during the night to allow more of the water to flow into intakes used for power generation. This plan ensures that the Falls’ natural beauty remains unaffected during prime viewing hours.
Niagara Falls State Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted; he also designed Central Park in New York City.
Three Sisters Islands were named after the daughters of Parkhurst Whitney, a hotelman and prominent local citizen. The daughters names were Asenath, Angeline and Celinda Eliza.
At one time, P.T. Barnum wanted to turn Goat Island (a section of Niagara Falls State Park) into a circus ground.
The first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel was 63-year-old school teacher Annie Edson Taylor. She is buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Niagara Falls in an area called Stunters Rest, along with other Niagara Falls daredevils.