If you plan to visit Canada for a few hours, the day, or even an extended period of time, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI, requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.
Starting August 9, 2021, American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in the U.S. and who qualify as fully vaccinated travellers, will be able to enter Canada for discretionary or non-essential travel. All travellers, regardless of vaccination status, will still require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result. Learn more here. Learn more here.
U.S. citizens visiting Canada will be required to present one of the travel documents listed here:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- Enhanced Driver’s License (Issued by New York, Michigan, Vermont and Washington only)
- Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards
- Special Audiences (Special documents for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, U.S. Military, Native Americans, and Boaters; birth certificates for children under the age of 16).
Canadian citizens entering the U.S. will be required to present one of the travel documents listed here:
- Canadian Passport
- Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as NEXUS or FAST/Express enrollment cards
- Enhanced Driver’s License
- Special Audiences (special documents for Native Americans and boaters; birth certificates for children under the age of 16).
Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain passport and VISA information. For specific and accurate information, please refer to the government’s website to visit Canada or visit the USA.
From Niagara Falls USA, tourists can cross the Rainbow Bridge, connecting Downtown Niagara Falls, N.Y. to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Pedestrians are permitted on the pedestrian walkway. From Lewiston, N.Y., tourists can cross the Lewiston Queenston Bridge, connecting Lewiston, N.Y. to the Village of Queenston in the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. The Whirlpool Bridge is reserved for subscribers to NEXUS only, a program for pre-approved clearance. For up-to-date bridge traffic information and wait times, call 1-800-715-6722 or follow on @NiagaraBridges on Twitter.
Traveling from Canada and enjoying our many shopping destinations in Niagara Falls USA? Plan your day and see how much you can spend without paying duty at the border.
|TIME OUT OF THE COUNTRY||EXEMPTION LIMITS|
|Out of country within 24 hours||CA $0|
|More than 24 hours, but less than 48 hours||CA $200|
|More than 48 hours, but less than 7 days||CA $800|
|More than 7 days||CA $800|