Niagara Falls Border Crossing Information
If you plan to visit Canada for a few hours, the day, or even an extended period of time, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI, requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.
Travelers are eligible to enter or return to Canada if they qualify as a fully vaccinated traveler. Learn more here.
Guidance for travelers to enter the U.S. at land ports of entry and Ferry terminals. Learn more here.
U.S. citizens visiting Canada will be required to present one of the travel documents listed here:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- Enhanced Driver’s License (Issued by New York, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont and Washington only)
- Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards
- Special Audiences (Special documents for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, U.S. Military, Native Americans, and Boaters; birth certificates for children under the age of 16).
Canadian citizens entering the U.S. will be required to present one of the travel documents listed here:
- Canadian Passport
- Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as NEXUS or FAST/Express enrollment cards
- Enhanced Driver’s License
- Special Audiences (special documents for Native Americans and boaters; birth certificates for children under the age of 16).
Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain passport and VISA information. For specific and accurate information, please refer to the government’s website to visit Canada or visit the USA.
From Niagara Falls USA, visitors can cross the Rainbow Bridge, connecting Downtown Niagara Falls, N.Y. to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Pedestrians are permitted on the pedestrian walkway. From Lewiston, N.Y., tourists can cross the Lewiston Queenston Bridge, connecting Lewiston, N.Y. to the Village of Queenston in the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. The Whirlpool Bridge is reserved for subscribers to NEXUS only, a program for pre-approved clearance. For up-to-date bridge traffic information and wait times, call 1-800-715-6722 or follow on @NiagaraBridges on Twitter.
Traveling from Canada and enjoying our many shopping destinations in Niagara Falls USA? Plan your day and see how much you can spend without paying duty at the border.
|TIME OUT OF THE COUNTRY||EXEMPTION LIMITS|
|Absence of less than 24 hours (same-day cross-border shopping)||CA $0|
|Absence of 24 hours or more||CA $200|
|Absence of 48 hours or more||CA $800|
|Absence of 7 days or more||CA $800|