While Niagara Falls State Park offers spectacular views of the majestic Falls, don’t miss out on visiting one or more of the other State parks near Niagara Falls, New York, and get your heart pumping with miles of hiking trails and awe-inspiring views.
Explore the Niagara Gorge Trail System, made up of a series of smaller trail sections that parallel the Niagara River Gorge, offering some of the best hiking and biking trails in Niagara Falls USA. From easy to challenging trails – including steep stairways and a little boulder hopping, hiking is recommended between April and mid-November. Hikes are self-guided; guided hikes are available from mid-May to October. Pick up a Niagara Gorge brochure at the Niagara Falls USA Official Visitor Center or download the Niagara Gorge Trail Map below.
From well-developed footways to more rugged terrain, here are top hiking trails in Niagara Falls USA to admire the stunning natural landscape and experience thrilling new adventures.
In Niagara Falls, New York:
- DeVeaux Woods State Park Nature Trail: Explore nature trails through a meadow and Old Growth Woods. Path leads across Niagara Scenic Parkway to Whirlpool State Park with access to the Niagara Gorge Trail System.
- Devil’s Hole State Park Gorge Trail: Access the lower gorge via stone stairs and lead to the Devil’s Hole Trail, offering spectacular views of the rapids and gorge rock layers.\
- Upper Niagara River Hike and Bike Trail: From Niagara Falls State Park to LaSalle Waterfront Park, next to the north Grand Island Bridge, this path is ideal for viewing the scenic river above the Falls, along with birding and fishing opportunities.
- Whirlpool State Park Trails: Offering two levels, the street and river level. From the street level, enjoy scenic overlooks with spectacular views of the Whirlpool and rapids. The river level offers hiking and fishing via a stone staircase.
In Niagara County:
- Artpark State Park Gorge Trail in Lewiston: The upper Artpark Gorge Trail offers a gradual climb to the top where it meets up with the rim trail that crosses the power plant to Devil’s Hole State Park. The lower River’s Edge Trail provides access to fishing by two staircases. Trails begin at the small parking area at the upper end of the park.
- Erie Canal Towpath in Lockport: Walk or bike the Erie Canalway Trail, following one of the world’s most famous manmade waterways spanning between Albany and Buffalo. Enjoy a stroll or bike from one village to another, while exploring historic Lockport, NY and beyond.
- Wilson-Tuscarora State Park in Wilson: Hike over four miles of hiking trails, along with plenty of fishing and boating opportunities. Trails are also used for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.